structure dynamique “expansion” 1963
patinated steel, H 70,5 x L 84 x P 64 cm
Born on 8th August 1920, in Teana, in Basilicat Province, near Potenza in South Italy.At age 16, emigrated to Argentina as a mason. At age 22, became a construction site manager.
Returned to Europe in 1952, settling in Paris. In 1956, his works are exhibited in the Denise René gallery.Beginning with 1960, Denise René organizes several exhibitions of di Teana’s works.
Since that time, he participates in numerous presentations of contemporary art in France and abroad. His oeuvre is shown at many museums like Ixelles in Belgium, Leverkusen, Frankfurt, Munster, Copenhagen, Tome in Japan, …
In the 70s begins a series of comprehensive retrospective exhibitions at the Museum of Contemporary Art of the City of Paris in 1976, Museum in Pau in 1981, National Saarland Museum, Saarbrücken in 1987, among others.
His works are acquired for public collections: the Museum of Contemporary Art of the City of Paris, the George Pompidou Center, National Contemporary Art Museum, The New Contemporary Art Museum MACVAL, several French FRACs (National Contemporary Art Fund) as well as for renown private collections such as the L'OREAL company, Claude Pompidou, Francois PINAULT or PIERRE BERGÉ collections, The Marcel Joray collection in Switzerland, The Thomas Neirynck donation at the King Baudouin Fundation in Belgium.
Di Teana realizes winning projects for public commission: more than 50 monumental sculptures as much as 20 m high (Paris/Fontenay sous Bois, Montpelier, Orléans-Chevilly, the military Canjuers head quarters, Var).
The sculpture "Liberté, Hommage to the General de Gaulle" in Fontenay is one of the largest sculptures of Europe. (23 meters High in Corten Steel)
International art fairs
- The First Prize of Saint Gobain awarded by a jury comprising Zadkine, Michel Seuphor and Alberto Giacometti.
- the Honorary Diploma of the 14th Triennial in Milan, Italy
- Silver Medal at the International Congress of Architecture, awarded by Willy Brandt, in Bochum, Germany.
- Two gold medals awarded by the Provincia di Basilicata and Teana – the artist’s native village in Italy.
- Appointment a member of the National Academy of Fine Arts and Architecture of Argentina (Buenos Aires).
- Medal of Recognition from the University of Seoul, South Korea.
- Silver Medal from the General Council of the Val-de-Marne Department in France
- Grand Silver Medal awarded by the French Academy of Architecture for the body of his work.
- Honorary medal at the 16th Sculpture International Triennal of Poznan, Poland
- Appointed Citoyen d’Honneur by the region of Basilicata, Italy
- Appointed Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres by the French government.